I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Delight-full Chocolate Orange Cake

Whether because of chocolate's alleged aphrodisiac properties or the way it delightfully seduces the palate, chocolate and Valentine's Day seem to naturally go well together. My original intention was therefore to suggest some raw chocolate recipes (see here and here) to share with those close to your heart, but I've been having a hard time finding moulds at the local stores.

Enters Plan B.

With Cafe Gratitude's amazing Mudslide Pie still fresh in my taste buds memory, I decided to experiment with a chocolate orange version of it. (I've been fantasizing for months about the one Heathy made when she visited me last fall.)

The result is the following beyond creamy and scrumptious melts-in-your-mouth dessert that is sure to complement beautifully a romantic candlelight dinner. Don was rolling around on the floor moaning in ecstasy, crying "It can't get any better can it?"

Sounds promising? ;-)


Delight-full Chocolate Orange Cake

Makes one 7 " cake

Crust Variation 1
3/4 cup well packed soft dates, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
Pinch salt
1 1/2 cup ground almonds or loosely packed left-over pulp from making milk
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/2 cup cashews

Place dates in food processor and process until a smooth paste forms. You may need to add a little water.

Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.

If using ground almonds instead of wet almond pulp, you might want to add a couple of teaspoons of water for moisture.


Crust Variation 2
1/2 cup brazil nuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon raw cacao or carob powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 medjhool dates
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1-2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)

Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor until fine. Add agave and cacao nibs if using and process some more until the mixture just starts to stick together.


Orange & White Chocolate Filling
1 1/4 cups orange juice
1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tbs vanilla
1 tbs orange zest
1 tbs + 1 tsp lecithin powder
1/4 cup + 1 tbs cacao butter

Blend all ingredients except lecithin and cacao butter until smooth. Add these and blend some more until well mixed. Put mixture in the fridge to set (see notes).


Chocolate Filling
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 tbs cacao powder
2 tbs vanilla
Pinch of salt
2 tsp lecithin powder*
1/4 cup cacao butter

*Lecithin acts as an emulsifier. Look for lecithin (preferably non-GMO), in granules or powdered form, at your local HFS. If using granules, make sure to grind them up in a high speed blender of coffee grinder.

Blend all ingredients except lecithin and cacao butter until smooth. Add these and blend some more until well mixed. Put in the freezer to set.


To Assemble
Press your crust of choice into the bottom of the springform pan.

Pour half of the White Chocolate Orange mixture on top and set in the freezer for about an hour.

Top with the Chocolate layer and return to the freezer.

Once set, pour the rest of the Chocolate Orange layer and return to freezer until ready to serve.

Decorate with dried coconut and gogi berries ground up in coffee grinder, cacao nibs and orange filets.

Close your eyes and enjoy in good company!

Carmella's Notes:
~ The different layers of this cake can be prepared quickly, but you do want to start preparing this several hours ahead to allow enough time for the different layers to set during the assembly process. (I began around noonish in order to serve it that evening.)

~ I used the cake recipe for my Strawberry Shortcake as the first layer, but I think it would be also fabulous with a chocolate coconut crust. Take your pick!

~ You'll notice that the Orange & White Chocolate Filling is firmer than the Dark Chocolate Filling at first. I recommend keeping it in the fridge until ready to assemble the final layer for easier spreading.


Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

  1. this is wonderful looking!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmi, I just noticed your comment on my curried celery soup, how did I miss that?

    It's actually DON's Spicy Cucumber soup!! Hehe, you remember Don, right? ;);) I didn't have all the ingredients so it became curried celery soup! :) Here's the link that inspired me:

    http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1355

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I love orange and chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg.. how do you do it!? You make all the food look soooo incredible.. you are my hero!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this a little confusing... so you prepare the different layers, set them in the freezer seperately from each other (in bowls or whatever?) THEN assemble the cake and then set the entire cake? I'm also confused about how you managed to create such a thick dark chocolate layer from the small amount of ingredients. I just finished preparing that layer and i definitely don't have enough to create such a thick layer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. T-leaves,

    I hope I'm not too late...

    You're right, it does sound confusing. The key is that you set the layers one at a time while assembling the cake. For instance, pour the first orange layer then let it set til firm. Then the chocolate layer and set, etc...

    I thought the same thing re: the chocolate layer at first, but it does work fine for me. It's come to my attention, however, that depending on what size pan you use, it may be too thin. So you might want to double the chocolate recipe if you're going to use a larger size pan than a round 7".

    Oh, and you might want to visit this link: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2975

    There's comments from a bunch of people who have made the cake.

    Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ended up doing mine a little differently but it ended up delicious! Thanks for the rely, because I'll definitely be making this again and next time I'll do it right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Carmi,

    THANK YOU for all the love....and recipes you have given to us all! I've tried so many (mostly when I need a dessert!) and they ALL turn out fabulous....but this one, takes the cake! I made it for a rawsome friend and it was incredible!!! I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your generosity and creativity. Lots of love back at ya! ♥Monica from Massacusetts

    ReplyDelete